This message also marks my first as a liturgical/sacramental Christian, because by this point I was thoroughly ensconced in the Catholic faith, and from this point there would be no going back. Of course, my viewpoint in this homily, as in several of the previous, was somewhat different than it is today because I have grown much since then. That is especially true during the timeframe of this message, because then I was actually going through some bad trials, being I had just graduated from college and some other issues had come at us then, and this would be one of the last messages I spoke for a number of years due to the fact my ministry and spiritual life would lie dormant for almost 12 years after this. Thank you again for being with me in this series, and stay tuned to the next blog post, which will serve as a conclusion/epilogue to the archived message series too.
- The man is an evangelical Protestant Baptist who listens to Rush Limbaugh religiously
- The man is considered an American grassroots patriot who votes straight Republican in every election.
- This man is pro-life, NRA, and distrustful of Blacks.
- The first is the pastor of the nearby Baptist church, a congregation of some five thousand with a syndicated TV program, etc. He knows the businessman lying before him in the gutter very personally, but fails to recognize him due to the severity of the man's appearance after being subjected to all that violence. Instead of helping matters, the prominent pastor mutters some comment about "sinful Southern white trash" lying around in the streets being a burden on good tax-paying citizens like himself. You can really feel the love coming from this man of God, can you not??
- About ten minutes later, the next pedestrian is a well-known Bible scholar from the local theological seminary. He is in a rush because his next class on the life of Christ starts in ten minutes. Seeing the unfortunate man lying in the ditch, he says "Jesus loves even your kind," and tosses him a tract preaching hellfire and damnation to those who are "fond of the glass." (Keep in mind that this poor guy has never touched alcohol in his life!) With a quick "God bless you," the "Professor" heads off to class.
- At around a half an hour later, a soulful female voice is heard humming "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" a little ways down the street. Upon coming into view, it is a young Black single mother of two, who lives with an abusive boyfriend and a meager monthly ration of foodstamps. However, she has recently been born again in Christ, and is a new creature in Him. Seeing the man, she sends her oldest child, who is approximately 5 years old, to get help from her elderly uncle, who works as a hotel porter at a prestigious downtown resort nearby. While waiting, she takes some "Baby Wipes" out of the bag she is toting, and begins to clean the man's wounds with them. She then reassures the man that everything is going to be all right, and pretty soon her uncle comes and gets the man, putting him up in a hotel room he paid for himself (This elderly Black man probably makes a quarter of the annual salary, it must be noted, that the unfortunate victim he is helping makes). Getting the number of the businessman's wife, the elderly gentleman contacts her and she flies up to drive him home to recover. Every year afterward, the grateful businessman sends the elderly Black porter a nice gift.